Today was my best day in Costa Rica thus far. I went to the actual cloud forest of Monteverde and it was amazing! Wildlife is not seen as often there because the forest is so big, so the animals and birds don't usually hang out near the paths, but I got lucky. I saw all sorts of colorfull birds and giant insects and best of all I saw tons of monkeys. As we (me and my new friend chen) crossed the suspension bridge two spider monkeys appeared from the top of the trees. They continued to crawl down the tree closer to us to eat leaves. I had my binoculars with and I was able to actually see him shoving the leaves into his face. Then he passed right over my head. Towards the end of our hike (4 hours later) all of a sudden we heard really loud calls that sounded like gorillas. It was actually pretty scary at first, but of course they were only howler monkeys. There were several of them and I think they were yelling at the spider monkeys which were in the next tree over. I got some awesome videos that you can hear the monkeys yelling at eachother.
Originally I was only going to spend two nights here in Monteverde, but I love it here and I'm going to stay another night. Tomorrow I am going to check out the other cloud forest, Santa Elena and maybe walk across several suspension bridges.
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Sarah,
Your travels sound wonderful. I am so glad your trip is everything and more than you had hoped for. If you can post pictures on your blog, I would love to see a sampling of each of your travel spots so far. Continue to enjoy your travels and I love reading about all your experiences.
Love, Ellie
Wow! That is a once in a life time experience. Enjoy every minute. Hey, would you have a chance to do a zip line through the tree tops? Love, Daddy
I thought about it, but it's pretty expensive ($30) so I decided to skip it.
Post a Comment